June 18, 2008


One of the blogs I read occasionally is "Wedded Diss". One of the recent topics covered was paper invitations vs electronic invitations (e-vites). I have to admit, e-vites are something I've thought about. On the pro side, e-vites are cheaper, more efficient, and more environmentally friendly (although, computers do run on electricity so maybe Mother Earth is screwed either way). The biggest e-vite con I can come up with is that there is no way I can use e-vites exclusively since there are several people on the guest list (eg, my Grandma) who have never used a computer in their lives. It is this same group of people who would be very disappointed to not recieve a traditional paper invitation.
Ian and I went to a wedding a few years ago that used e-vites for all the guests. Well, sort of. The bride and groom emailed or IM'd all of their guests and invited them to the wedding. No invitation, e-vite or otherwise, was received but some of the essential info was posted on the brides sisters blog. The wedding was lovely, but the whole experience of not having an invitation/directions/accommodations list/everything else people include in their wedding invitation envelopes was horribly disorganized and confusing. So I guess my only experience with e-vites wasn't terribly positive.
Our wedding is out of town and there will be lots of directions and accommodation information to include so the verdict is paper invitations. I'll go add that to my to-do list.

No comments: