March 17, 2009


Yes, I'm aware that I haven't blogged for a long time. Chalk it up to a lack of time/modivation on my part. My apologies, I'll try to be more on the ball in the future.

For your viewing pleasure, I now present a list of 25 things you may or may not know about our wedding:

1. There will be a bride (me) and a groom (Ian). Filling out the legal forms is a little strange for us since Ian goes by one of his middle names (ie, "Ian" is not his legal first name, but it is what everyone calls him) and I go by an abbreviated form of my legal first name. Sometimes when we're filling out forms, I look at the names and feel like we're filling out forms for strangers instead of us.

2. There will be three female attendants and three male attendants.

3. It will be a civil ceremony. It will also be very short.

4. If the weather is nice, we hope to have the ceremony outside near the reception venue. If the weather is not nice, we'll be married inside the reception venue. I haven't figured out all of the logistics yet.

5. Invitations have been mailed and RSVPs have been trickling in. We pre-stamped all of the RSVP envelopes before putting them in the invitation envelope in order to make it as easy as possible for our guests to return them (unless you live in the US, in which case the US postal service does not accept Canadian stamps so you're on your own. Sorry!).

6. Dinner will be served at the reception and it will be a buffet. The menu is still TBD.

7. I did not care if we had a wedding cake, but Ian insisted on one. He picked it out and ordered it. The flavours are vanilla-grand marnier and chocolate-rum.

8. We will be having centerpieces but no other decorations in the hall.

9. I havn't done anything about flowers yet and this is causing me to panic slightly. I do have an appointment with a florist this week.

10. There will be alcohol served and it will most likely be a twoonie bar.

11. No, we are not registered anywhere. Please stop asking.
12. The bridesmaids are having their dresses made. The color is greyish-blue.
13. I have no idea how much alcohol to buy.

14. We do not yet have a marriage liscense. Getting one is on the to-do list.

15. When people ask me how wedding planning is going, I never know what to say.

16. I'm taking 2 weeks off of work. One week before the wedding and one after.

17. Kids are more than welcome at the wedding. The more, the merrier!

18. There will be several pregnant ladies at the wedding. At least 3 and maybe more. When Ian realized this he said "Great, now there's going to be crying for sure!". I said that there probably would have been crying anyway.

19. People seem genuinly excited to be attending the wedding. This surprises me for some reason. I guess I would be excited if I had been invited as a guest to this wedding, but because I'm the bride I'm mostly stressed and very tired.

20. If you are planning on attending, I suggest you book accommodations ASAP. If you are planning on camping, then don't worry about booking. They don't reserve camp sites.

21. Bring bug spray. Lots of it.

22. We're getting married in a national park. Because no hunting is allowed in national parks, the wildlife is very comfortable around people. It isn't unusual to see a bunch of elk wandering through the townsite even during the day. Since there's always wildlife running around, there's lots of poop on the ground. Watch where you step.

23. There are bears in the park. Watch out for the bears.

24. I'm currently worried that I will spent so much time worrying about our guests, that I will forget to have fun and enjoy the day. Any advice on how to prevent that would be appreciated.

25. I'm very excited for the wedding, but at the same time I can't wait for it to be over.

3 comments:

Matt, Kara, Hunter and Cavan said...

Okay, this makes me just want to cry reading this. I am sooo bummed that we aren't coming.

I have the worst timing!!

Barb said...

Some questions and comments:

A) Ian and I are of similar ilk. We like cake. Cake is important to us. We also like booze. I think it's awesome he has combined both! I can't wait to eat your cake. lol

B) I thought you had done something about flowers - you had put your deposit down on them and I thought you had picked it all out? But, this post was dated March 17 and I just saw you this weekend, so perhaps this has changed slightly.

C) How much alcohol to buy? Maybe you could call your caterer and ask? Or check on various Google sites to see what they suggest for a drinks/person basis. However, do remember that you can buy AS MUCH AS YOU WANT. lol And! You can return what you do not open (so no opening all of the cases of beer, they won't take them back then, go through them 2 or 3 cases at a time). So, if you buy too much, no worries, you'll get some funds back. Check with the liquor stores to see how that works. But I think your caterer would be a really good source for this one. They may even purchase the alcohol for you.

D) Is June a really buggy month? Having never been to Waskiseu I have no idea what to expect when I am there.

E) Since there is no decorating, what time will you need the maids there on Friday? I know you get the keys to the Hall at noon on Friday, but what will you need maid help with? Also, is there a wedding rehearsal Friday night?

F) Don't worry about your guests. They'll make their own fun, they'll socialize how they want to socialize, they will eat the food given to them and drink the drink available to them. At the end of it all, unless someone is eaten by a bear, they will say "It was a marvelous wedding, I'm so glad I could make it! The bride was beautiful, the food was great, and I had lots of wine/beer/vodka. It was lovely!" It's a fairly simple concept. While yes, this is one of the biggest days of your life (or so they tell me), it's also one you are meant to enjoy as well, so... enjoy it. Make what decisions need to be made and let the chips fall where they may. :) It will all work out in the end. Even if someone does get eaten by a bear. That will just make it extra memorable.

Also, as an addendum to all of this - don't be afraid to delegate tasks. If you have a list of 30 things that need to be done, don't be afraid to ask 15 people to complete 2 items each. Or even one person to help you out with 5 of them. If you need me to look things up for you, or see what I can find out, let me know. :)

Blue4130 said...

#5 - Sorry, I don't think the Vietnam postal service will accept Canadian stamps either...

Alas, I will be missing the wedding.

Vance