May 22, 2008


I've been going to a chiropractor.

I've always been somewhat of a skeptic regarding chiropractic medicine - it's always seemed more like witchcraft than actual medicine to me. There was also a highly publicized case in my city where a young woman died from a ruptured artery caused by a chiropractic neck adjustment. But I've been having neck pain and headaches almost every day and some substantial foot pain brought on by soccer, so I decided to give it a try.

My first visit was only an assessment, no adjustments. I was poked and prodded and had to bend in funny ways so the Dr. could assess the range of motion in all of my joints.

My second visit was my first adjustment. The first adjustment was at the base of my neck. It was fairly painful but made my back feel much better. Then the Dr. started focusing on my feet. He grabbed both feet, told me "This will likely hurt" and proceeded to crack all 10 of my toes at the same time. I screamed. Loud. I'm sure people were fleeing from the waiting room if they heard me. After the adjustment was over, my feet felt better than they have in at least three years. I've been having fewer headaches too.

I had another adjustment today, this time focusing on my lower back. It was much less painful than my first adjustment and relieved nearly all of the pain in my lower back.

This may be witchcraft, but I'm beginning to believe.

1 comment:

Barb said...

I admit that I have the same perception you once had. I get headaches a lot of the time - but I chalked it up to chewing gum too often and too hard. I would be a bit nervous to go to a chiropractor, as I too have heard news stories of people who have died from seeing chiropractors, but I know plenty of people who swear by it.

I personally do not appreciate working with my joints and body to be referred as "adjustments". Makes me sound like a car!

I'd be interested to hear how your visits go.