August 18, 2008

One of the girls in my group at work recently resigned, so I've been reviewing resumes hoping to find a suitable replacement for her. This is the first time I've been on the hiring side of the job hunt table and it's a little strange. It was much more difficult to create a short list of candidates to interview than I thought it would be. The applicants seemed to fall into three major groups:

1. The grossly overqualified applicants who submit a resume that's 10 pages long (or more!). Really people, if you have a PhD I'm not going to hire you for an entry level position. Neither of us will be happy so lets not even go there. Also, it's not necessary for you to submit a 5 page summary of your PhD thesis with your resume. I'm sure it was very well done but I don't really have time to read it.

2. The grossly unqualified applicants who can't write a decent resume to save their life. FYI, it's not necessary to include every job you've ever had since high school. I want to hire you for a science job. I don't care if you worked at McDonalds, Starbucks, or the local nightclub. If your past work experience doesn't show me your experience in the biotech field and why I should hire you, don't put it on your resume. Also, proofreading and spellcheck are your friends! Use them!

3. The somewhat qualified applicants with decent resumes. There were only two.

Next step, interviews.

No comments: