August 9, 2008

Today we drove out to Rouleau (AKA Dog River) to see the set used in the filming of the TV series Corner Gas.

Corner Gas, in case you don't know, is a Canadian TV comedy that depicts life in small-town Saskatchewan. Set in fictional Dog River (40 Km from nowhere), the show focuses on Brent (owner of the local gas station) and his shenanigans with several other people in town. It's a show I hold very near and dear to my heart since I grew up in a Saskatchewan town of about 600 people. While people from urban centers can definitely appreciate the show for its witty dialogue and slapstick effects, you can't truly identify with the show unless you've lived it.

The sixth and final season of Corner Gas is currently being filmed. I'm glad they've chosen to end it before it becomes stale and unpopular. Besides, I have all of the seasons on DVD so life in Dog River will never be very far away for me.

No comments: