April 16, 2008


Tonight was my first Cardio Kick class. It is being taught by my yoga instructor, and it was interesting to see her teach a high-energy cardio class instead of being very "zen". I should also note that I didn't take this picture, it's a random pic thanks to google. Also, there is much less smiling and much more sweating and painful facial expressions in the class I'm in.

Like most people, I've put on a few pounds as I've aged. I've slowly gained ~10-15 lbs over the last 4 years. This isn't a huge amount, especially considering that my Body Mass Index 4 years ago hovered just above "Underweight". I'm still well within a healthy weight range for my height, but I definitely now have some wiggly bits that weren't so wiggly a few years ago.

If I'm totally honest with myself, it's not the weight gain that bothers me so much as the loss of physical conditioning. When I was in undergrad and grad school, I normally went to the gym 5-6 times per week, 1-2 hours at a time. As life progresses I find myself with less and less time for the gym. I'm still fairly active and I'm lucky enough to have a nice fitness facility where I work, but with my wedding looming on the horizon now seems like a good time to work on my wiggly bits.

No comments: